There is nothing as freeing as travelling alone. You can go where you want and do what you want to do without having to wait on anybody. You are completely immersed in the experience. One of the best cities to explore alone is Jakarta. Indonesia’s capital is the perfect mix of old and new. The city is a fast paced metropolis that will truly satisfy your wanderlust. Architectural marvels, museums, parks, and luxury hotels in Jakarta are undoubtedly world-class!
Top picks of activities you can do in Jakarta
Museums – To have a better understanding of the culture and history of Jakarta, you should visit their well-preserved museums. Here are some of the most visited museums in Jakarta.
- Fatahillah Museum/ Jakarta History Museum. Also known as, Old Batavia City Hall it is an old Dutch colonial building that was once the epicentre during the Dutch settlement. It exhibits the history of Jakarta and Indonesia.
Admission Fee: IDR 2000
Schedule: Tuesday to Sunday 9:00 AM – 3:00 pm
Address: Jalan Taman Fatahillah No.1, Kota Jakarta Barat, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta
- Ceramic and Fine Arts Museum. This museum is dedicated to the traditional ceramics and fine art of Indonesia. If you are into arts and crafts, this is an excellent museum. It exhibits local artistry in its finest.
Admission Fee: IDR 2000/person
Schedule: Tuesday to Sunday 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Address: Jl. Pos Kota No.2, Daerah Khusus Ibukota Jakarta
- Maritime Museum. This museum focuses on the maritime history of Indonesia and the importance of the sea to the economy of present-day in Indonesia. They display models of fishing boats and other maritime objects.
Admission Fee: IDR 5000
Schedule: Tuesday to Sunday from 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM *Closed on Mondays and Public Holidays
Address: Jalan Pasar Ikan No. 1, Penjaringan, North Jakarta
Most travel hotels in Jakarta offer shuttle services to these museums as well as other popular attractions in the city.
Street Food – There is nothing like exploring a city through its food. From roadside hawkers to high end restaurants, there is certainly a lot of variation to Indonesian cuisine. Wherever hawker centre or restaurant you end up in, here are some must try dishes:
- Pisang Goreng Sambal Roa. This is Indonesia’s version of deep fried batter fritter, accompanied by sambal chili sauce that will surely add a kick to your Goreng.
- Otak-otak (Brain – Brain Fish Cake). A combination of fish, coconut milk, lemon grass, and spices all grilled in a banana leaf for added fragrance.
- Bakpao (Meat Bun). Some of Bakpao are filled with meat or chicken and vegetables.
- Nasi Goreng. Indonesia’s signature dish, Nasi Goreng is fried rice with eggs, meat (can be anything from prawns, chicken, salted dried fish, or goat meat), chilli, and veggies. Instead of rice you can opt for Mie Goreng which replaces rice with fried noodles.
These are just a few of the things you can do and eat in Jakarta. Whatever your travel plans are in Jakarta make sure you ask the locals for recommendations.